Ever been in a situation that led to an undesirable and unpleasant experience? How do you deal with it? Regardless of the situation is an internal conflict or an external imposition, you are bound to lose your peace.
Nevertheless, if it’s difficult for you to move on from what happened and find yourself stuck in one place, you are bound to feel unhappy and depressed. What can you possibly do then?
I don’t believe in pushing people to think about good things when situations go worse; reason being, nobody can easily shrug off a current set of circumstances and be happy in two shakes… No, that isn’t real. But read me out, I’m going to share some simple ways of improving your mental health.
Below are some of the most efficient ways of letting go and living your present in a much more positive way.
- Start With Yourself – Building yourself is the first step towards being healthy mentally. If you are depressed, you will lose your appetite, resulting in physical weakness. When you are physically weak, you won’t feel energized enough for a great beginning. So go on and make yourself a nice healthy plate of a meal and enjoy it. Meanwhile, don’t forget to exercise too!
- Channelize your Potential – Whether you know or not, it is essential to use your potential the right way. Instead of letting yourself think about what happened in the past or worry about the future, use the time and energy you have today. Distribute your strength across positive activities so that you’re no more complaining or idle.
- Practice Gratitude – You know, this is one thing I developed a few years back and I’m so happy that I’ve come to be grateful for all I have. Sometimes we are drowned too deep into the depths of despair that we barely notice the good things around. Okay, I’m not contradicting what I mentioned above, but I mean to show you that it’s important to remind ourselves of the good things around us so that we can minimize the effect of the wrongs in life. Make sure you think of all the good things you have every morning when you wake up. It’ll help you smile and feel grateful throughout the day. That’s one positivity to begin a day with!
- Talk Out – When we are sad and unhappy the only thing we might want to do is sit alone and ponder. Well, nothing against that but how about being around people? When you have people around you, you are less likely to fall into the pit of misery. It may not seem an ideal thing to do at times, but you’ll be in good spirits when surrounded by people who love you, care about you and would listen to your problems with open ears and also have a shoulder ready for you to lean on. Connect with them whenever you are gloomy; I bet you’ll thank me later.
- Donate – This is similar to gratitude, but I must admit it’s my favorite part. We all have a box, a trunk or one section in our cupboard that has many unused items lying there for years. If you can declutter (which you should occasionally), send them to the needy homes. If you are earning, make sure to donate a small part of your salary to a government recognized NGO that helps the needy ones. It is a great feeling… the joy of giving!
These were a few things I like to practice to keep away from negative thoughts and feelings, and I’m sure it’ll be beneficial to a great extent. Here’s one good saying before I end:
“Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.”
― Roy T. Bennett
If you liked what you read, please leave a comment. Also, to receive updates on my latest posts, click on the three dots at the top right corner and leave your email ID.
Thanks for dropping by!